Sunday, May 29, 2016

Day 4: Mucaka Mucaka and More

Isis

Words can't explain how amazing it has been here at Agahozo-Shalom. I'm doing things that I never thought I would ever do, and it's all so exhilarating. I mean, just a few hours ago I ate goat!! Today, I actually managed to wake up at 5:30 to go for a 2 mile run. But it wasn't just any run. Every Saturday morning at 5:45 AM, the students at ASYV take part in Mukaca Mukaca, which entails going for a morning run down the road outside of the village. What made it so amazing was that the whole time, the kids were chant and singing, and just really living in the moment. I've never seen a group of kids so energized this early in the morning! People in the surrounding village would watch with the biggest of smiles on their faces as we ran past them on the road chanting and having a good ole time. This was by far the best run I have gone on and will ever go on. What I love most about this trip is that everyone makes you feel so welcome. They make you feel right at home rather than making us feel like foreigners. I love the feeling of experiencing the day to day lives of these students and really get a sense of this amazing culture. And I absolutely LOVE the girls in my family. Each and everyone one of them are so intelligent and have the most beautiful hearts. I know the friendships I make here will continue when I return home. I can't wait for future adventures while here at ASYV and to share them with all of you. Until then, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment