Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Day 7: Market and Solar Field

Qais

This morning we went to the nearby open-air marketplace in Rubona where there were lots of fabrics for sale, but I mostly ate things. Miki was kind enough to show us a few of his favorite food places, and I got to eat potato samosas, a yoghurt drink, hot fresh milk, and cornbread - all without getting an upset stomach! I had to skip lunch because I ate too much in the morning, but supplemented my appetite with wonderful snacks from the canteen - a fanta, a chapati, and an amandazi (a local doughnut). Later in the day we went to East Africa's biggest solar field, which was right next door, and got to learn and see a lot of cool stuff. Dinner and family time were great as usual, with the former involving a killer beans, cabbage, onions, and carrots stew, and the latter involving games and dancing. The kindness and generosity shown by everyone here, whether it be locals in the marketplace, or students at the dining hall, or my brothers during family time, especially to an almost-stranger like me, has been so refreshing and inspiring and is something I hope to incorporate more into my every day interactions.

Lauren

Today we went to the market in Rubona, the town next to ASYV. The market was a bustling community event in which many local vendors sold produce and clothing. I had a pair of pants made by a local tailor. I got to choose the fabric and the tailor measured my body for the best fit. Later that day, we visited the solar field next to the village, which is the largest of its kind in Eastern Africa. I was amazed by the rows and rows of panels as well as the stunning vista that spread out below the field. 

Tonight we had family time with our families in the village. At my family time, each girl said what her hopes and dreams were for the girl sitting to her left. The comments ranged from "I hope you do well on exams" to "I hope you become a woman of high morals." I really loved hearing young women speak so highly and compassionately of one another. They constantly strive to support each other, to find the best in their sisters. When I return to the states, I hope to carry that sense of community and love with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment